Cloaking Clouds

Friday 30 May 2014

Why do We Still Allow it to Happen?

              October 19th, 1979 was a very long time ago. Back then there were no computers to hide you, we played outside. It was nothing to see kids riding in the back of pickup trucks. Biking was for fun, not just to get somewhere, seat belts were not mandatory, drinking out of the hose was easier then getting a glass of water and we still live. One thing that would maybe have helped would have been cell phones, but that was many years away.

Revving engines of large pick-up trucks and tires squealing on the paved highway a mile north transports me back in time. A time where longing for a different past was all a young girl wished for after a devastating crash that killed one parent and almost took the life of her brother, the best friend she had at that time.

            The area we lived in was very similar to any country area near villages and small towns; Farming/ranching families.

            At the young age of 28 my father’s truck was hit head on by another truck, alcohol was a factor and the driver of the other vehicle was killed as well.

In 1979 the Trans Canada Highway was not twinned between Medicine Hat and Calgary, very much like the roads in rural areas where homes are kilometers apart, it was being looked into. But, there were vehicles, there was alcohol and there are always the people who think they are invincible.

A daddy’s girl from what I have been told by aunts, uncles and my mom. We were living on a farm not far north from Redcliff, but south of Suffield, Alberta. We hadn't been living on the farm for very long, just over a year I believe; the house was built by our family and from what I was told it was only the beginning of what my father had planned for our country home. I found my love for living in the country in that very short time. It is peaceful to hear the trains passing by instead of police sirens and still is.

 My father worked hard to support his family, working in Medicine Hat during the day and working on the farm each evening. 

On Friday, October 19th, 1979 the grand opening of the Medicine Hat Mall; the second mall in Medicine Hat, brought people from the surrounding rural areas. My mother drove in from the farm and afterwards we visited with my aunt, uncle and cousins. With my parents’ vehicles in “The Hat”, my father and brother followed in the pickup truck while my mother, cousin and I were in the lead car.

Waking up the next morning to what was supposed to be a fun weekend with my cousin became the worst day a shy little girl, who would cling to her father’s leg for comfort, to endure. 

I remember someone taking me into my parents’ room, my mother crying on her bed. I was to sit next to her to hear of the tragedy that would change my families’ lives forever.  I have cousins that never got to meet their Uncle Norman. The cousins I did have were all very young; the oldest being 2 years my senior and was the other passenger in my moms’ car.

A month and a half later Christmas was probably the last holiday anyone would want to celebrate in our family. With the rest of the children under the age of 5, how can you not? I always wondered how my aunts and uncles from both sides were able to deal with the holidays for their children.
It is easy to remember good times, when it is a natural death to an older person. But this was a young father taken before his 30th birthday in a horrible way with so much to live for.  

I absolutely refused to believe that my father was dead, that it could not be true, he would never leave me. It was a nightmare that lasted for many years of waking up screaming. For several years I would wake up with night terrors of the death of my father. There are times I still wake up from a dream of that night.

The truck that killed my father and almost took the life of my brother was playing “chicken” with another vehicle. The young men were intoxicated and in 1979 there were no set rules about drinking and driving like there is today. We didn't recognize the debilitating affects alcohol can do to a person while driving and people unlucky enough to be around them were casualties in waiting back then.

Today, we know that booze impairs our judgment--liquid courage as we tend to call it--to do things we know are wrong whether it is against the law like drinking and driving, being abusive or even making a fool of ourselves.

            We all know that drinking and driving still happens and we all know it kills. Maybe not the first time or even the one hundredth time, but eventually someone will pay for another persons’ idiocy.

            What can we do about it?

            Many things can be done, but it has to be done by family and friends around the person who persistently drinks and drives.

             Parents, Family, Friends…

            Do your children know you will come get them even at 3am no matter where they are or if you know they will be drinking and are not responsible enough to sleep it off, are you willing to pay for a hotel room for them to sleep it off instead of them driving home on those dark roads antelope and moose tend to play on?

            Do you take a stand when you know your child drinks and drives by taking keys away? Are you willing to save someone’s life by making sure your young adult children are not behind a wheel of a vehicle after a party?

            That brother that has a drinking problem and has to drive into town to get another bottle and stays for a few beers before going back to the farm, are you willing to follow him? Are you willing to take his vehicle away? Are you willing to report him?

            You are not doing him any favors when he rolls his truck on an icy road and you go to get the truck out of the ditch for him the next day instead of reporting him to the RCMP. He needs help, but not the kind of help you are giving him by covering up his addiction.

            Many family members have probably heard that there isn't a problem, they only had a few or they can handle the alcohol.

            Many people have heard victims say how it destroyed their lives. I don’t think the killing of my father destroyed my life, it changed it dramatically but there has been good in the last 35 years; Too much good to dwell on the “what ifs”.

            What I do want to explain to those who know of a family member who drinks and drives is how it changes the lives of the victims, including their own.

            The ripple effect happens instantly. My mothers’ family lived in Medicine Hat, while my dads’ family lived in the country. Rarely did I get to see my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins on my fathers’ side after my father died and when I was able to, it just wasn't the same. It was hard to be around them, it reminded all of us who was missing. I loved being with my dads family, but my tears were always there because dad wasn't.

            The entire family are victims.

             It is not just the lives of children and spouses that are altered. Brothers, sisters, parents, the list goes on, family friends and even children that are not born to a family, like grandchildren, are effected by someone being dim-witted enough to think they are capable of driving after a night out on the town or even someone who ran out of booze and needs more.

Would you want to live with the fact that you could have stopped the death of another human by taking a stand with a family member who thinks they are invincible? or can you be okay with that?

Death is permanent. You cannot take back killing someone and you cannot take back the life of your loved one who may just be killed as well. It is something you have to live with for the rest of your life, your family lives with the death caused by lack of common sense for the rest of their lives. You can forgive yourself, you can receive forgiveness from those whom you hurt, but it will always be there.

Would you want to live with the fact that you could have stopped the death of a neighbor by taking a stand with a family member who thinks they need one more drink?

Yes, I know people who are selfish enough to drink and drive, after trying to explain my past to them they either take what I have said to heart or they chose to ignore me, if it is the latter, I walk away from that friendship and have reported them. My children’s lives depend on other people making the right choices. 

It has taken a lot to be able to say that while my life would have been completely different had my parents chose to stay home that night there are no guarantees. It was a difficult time, some lessons would not have been learned the same way but many things for the good happened after the death of a young husband and father many years ago. 

These days society knows better. It is not just propaganda, driving while drunk kills.
Knowing you could have done something, anything to stop your loved one from killing another human by not allowing them to drink and drive would be overwhelming. But if it means a loved one is alive but behind bars, they are still alive.

The only reason I share my experiences is to maybe help one person, selfish of me?
Can I help one person know that it is better to see a prisoners outfit on their child or family member then to see them in their graduation suit/suit in a coffin?

It is okay to take a stand. It is okay to say no to your children. It is okay to take their vehicles away if you know they are going to do something stupid. It is okay to be the “rat” now and be able to see grandchildren one day.

            We all know drinking and driving kills and many know the pain of losing someone because someone broke this law. I would never wish my pain or any of my families’ pain on anyone.


            Knowing you are drinking and driving makes you a murderer today, we know too much about being under the influence while driving to call it anything else, but knowing someone that drinks and drives and not doing anything about it, makes you an accessory.


   Please stop the person you know who drinks and drives.



No comments:

Post a Comment